Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Lost Soul's 50 favorite albums #35-31

#35. The Metal Opera - Avantasia (2001/2002)

I'm semi-cheating here. This is actually two albums released seperately, Part 1 and Part 2 of a full work. Still, I count it as one album. If you ever want an all-encompassing feel of power metal, get these albums. It includes most of the best power metal performers from a dozen bands. The album is a metal opera in the way a rock opera is an opera. Different people for different roles. The story is pretty good too.

Best Songs: Farewell, The Tower, and The Seven Angels


#34. Let It Be - The Beatles (1970)

Yes, I'm one of the few that really loves this Beatles album, and I even love Phil Spector's production. It may be Beatles leftovers, but that's better than most band's best stuff. The song selections flow pretty well, whilst keeping a "jam" type feel, complete with studio chat between tracks. I also must point out that the version of the song Let It Be included on the album is much better than the more popular single version.

Best Songs: Let It Be, I've Got A Feeling, and Dig A Pony.


#33. Origin of Symmetry - Muse (2001)

I love every Muse album... the first one a bit less than the others. Surprisingly though, my favorite is the one that comes right after my least favorite. It's not so mainstream as their modern stuff, and the sounds are amazing. Matt Bellamy's screams and falsetto are a force to behold.

Best Songs: Hyper Music, Bliss, and Plug In Baby.


#32. Damnation - Opeth (2003)

Opeth's only soft albums. No death metal vocals on this one, as it's creepy sounding progressive rock all the way through, and it is amazing. This should be listened to whilst immersed in a dark room.

Best Songs: Death Whispered A Lullaby, Hope Leaves, and To Rid The Disease.


#31. A Day At The Races - Queen (1976)

No, not Night At The Opera... Day At The Races. I know it's probably not the BETTER album, but I like it better. It has a very nice flow to it. It's conductive to a complete listen through on the fly. That's one of the most important things to me. Also, the album has many of the Queen songs that I find underrated like You and I & Teo Torriate.

Best Songs: Long Away, Somebody To Love, and Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)

No comments:

Post a Comment