Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Weekly Media Report: August 2- 9

Books read...

Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief - After watching the movie, I decided that I should read the book to see what all the hate towards the movie was about. Yes, the book is better, but it doesn't matter as the journey in the movie is very different from the book. The goal is the same, but the challenges are fewer and different than in the book... and Percy is older in the movie as well. I still like the movie okay as just entertainment, even if it is pretty dumb, but the book is just okay too. It's a Harry Potter clone right down to the bone, but at an even lower reading level. I will continue to read the series, just so I can say I have. Besides, maybe the books will get better as they go along.

Movies watched...

Millions (2004) - I'm still not sure what I think of this one. It was my first time watching it, I knew what to expect, and it still felt odd. It include the Danny Boyle patented 3rd act left turn, and that was my favorite part I think. It's a feel good Christmas movie at heart, but it's also a heist film, a tearjerker, a family movie, and a religious film. It was entertaining, but I couldn't tell if I really enjoyed it or not. Like most Boyle films, I'll have to give it a few more tries.

Zombieland (2009) - This is my most watched blu-ray. This time I showed the movie to my sister. Unsurprisingly, she apparently liked it, as her and I have essentially the same taste in movies. I tend to rate Zombieland higher than Shaun of the Dead in terms of entertainment, though it's definitely not as smart or as poignant. Still, it stays funny and it's a really fun ride.

Queen Rock Montreal/Live Aid (1981/1985) - This was probably the last real Queen concert. After the 1981 tour, they added so many synths to the shows, it wasn't really Queen anymore. The show they put on here is phenomenal, with a fantastic light show. I was always more of a 70s Queen fan than an 80s one anyway, so the setlist on this is near optimal... (even though I'm growing to despise Crazy Little Thing Called Love) The Live Aid performance is pretty good too. Only a few songs long, but it includes my favorite Queen song, Hammer To Fall, even though the song was never great live. Live Aid has no light show, but the audience makes up for it. It's still considered one of the best live performances ever for a reason.

Meet Bill (2007) - I am convinced that Aaron Eckhart is one of the best actors out there. He makes some questionable decisions (The Core), but even in those, he still entertains me. This movie is, I believe, an independent film. It also stars Jessica Alba, Elizabeth Banks, and Logan Lerman, who now plays Percy Jackson. The movie is about Aaron Eckhart's character confronting his mid-life crisis and realizing he's accomplished nothing on his own, his wife has her own issues, and on top of that, he's really wanting a donut franchise. Enter youthful Logan Lerman, who helps him loosen up and get on with life. Pretty simple independent film premise, but it works for me. At least it isn't pseudo-intellectual drivel.

No comments:

Post a Comment