Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Lost Soul's favorite albums #45-41

#45. The Nylon Curtain - Billy Joel (1982)

This is another of those albums I've had in some form since I was about twelve, and it's my favorite full Billy Joel album. In my opinion, it's also his last truly great album. It's a tribute to the Beatles, really. All of the songs have a latter day Beatles sound, especially Surprise and Laura, which sound very Lennonesque.

Best Songs - Surprise, Pressure, and Scandinavian Skies


#44. Holy Diver - Dio (1983)

I only heard this album in full a few months ago, but I had previously heard all but two songs from the album. It's Dio's first, and arguably his best, solo work. It's moody, cryptic, and another of those short albums that just flows so well you can listen to it all the way through any time anywhere.

Best Songs - Holy Diver, Don't Talk To Strangers, and Shame On The Night


#43. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? - Megadeth (1986)

If most people were to pick the two best Megadeth albums, I can about guarantee it'd be this and Rust In Peace. Well, I agree on this album at least. Their second album, and one of their heaviest. Chris Poland was always my favorite Megadeth guitarist. This is the one of the last Megadeth albums where I still feel Dave Mustaine's anger fueling things.

Best Songs - Peace Sells, Bad Omen, and My Last Words (probably my favorite Megadeth song)


#42. Imaginations From The Other Side - Blind Guardian (1995)

I love German power metal. The music is so over the top and happy sounding... Well, most of the time. This album is pretty dark in comparison to most power metal. Blind Guardian is very literature based, but on this album, not as much. No Dark Tower or other Stephen King based songs here. It's their most cohesive work along with Nightfall In Middle Earth. Mordred's Song is one of my top 5 Blind Guardian songs. Check it out.
Best Songs - Imaginations From The Other Side, A Past and Future Secret, and Mordred's Song

#41. The Turn of A Friendly Card - The Alan Parsons Project (1980)

My dad was a big Alan Parsons Project fan in the late 70s, early 80s. I had heard 2 or 3 albums by the time I was 10, but not this one. I finally heard it in full about 5 years ago, and it's now, surprisingly here in my top 50. It's another short album, with both pop and progressive elements. The only weak part is the instrumental "The Gold Bug". The 5 part suite at the end is phenomenal, and Games People Play is probably my favorite disco-ish song.

Best Songs - Turn of A Friendly Card, Games People Play, and Time

No comments:

Post a Comment